Baseball is one of the most popular games of USA. The game was invented in USA itself. It is played by people of all ages. It has a lot of influence in culture, politics as well as the entertainment industry of USA. Not only in USA, but Baseball is played in many other countries of the world.
Kids in different countries grow up playing baseball or T ball, another form of baseball. In USA, there are many levels of Professional baseball called Minor Leagues. After practicing in these leagues, they sharpen their skill and then play in major leagues. In many small towns, there are many minor leagues player teams.
Baseball is a completely different sport than basketball or football. It needs both strength as well as mental ability. It’s not at all easy to play
Baseball is played on a baseball field. The baseball field is also known as Diamond, as the shape of the field is like a diamond. The field of the game can be divided in different parts known as the infield, Bases, Pitcher’s mound, Fair and foul, Batter’s box, Catcher’s box, Coach’s box, On deck circles and Outfield.
The infield is the main field of the game, which covers the area from the grass line up to the Home base and it contains all the bases. The bases are the most important parts of a baseball field. There are four bases in a baseball field, generally known as Home base, First base, Second base and the Third base. All these bases are at 90 feet distance from the Home base for all the major league but for minor league this distance is 60 feet only.
In order to play baseball we need a ball with circumference of 9-9.25 inches, a bat either made of aluminum, or composite or made of wood, a hand gloves, a hat and helmet often worn by the batter, uniform which consists of a pant, a jersey and baseball cap. Baseball players wear cleats too which protects them from slipping. Catchers wear a different kind of gear, which protects them from injury. This gear includes mask, helmets, shin guard, chest guard, cups and neck protectors.
Baseball is played between two teams. Each team consists of 9 players. And the main aim of the game is to score more runs than the opposite team.
Position and the Name of The Players of Baseball:
- Pitcher: the pitcher is the player who pitches the ball to the batter. He must be a tough player who is able to throw in fast pitch. The batter hits the ball and other players of the opposite team try to catch the ball and make the batter or the runner out.
- Pitch: pitch is the ball that is played in the game.
- Runner: a runner is the player who runs and tries to touch any of the bases.
- Catcher: catcher is the player who takes his position behind the home base and catches the pitch when it is not hit by the batter. A catcher must be a smart and a quick thinker. He must be able to throw the pitch quickly to the other players. So catcher is one of the most important players of the game.
- Infield players: infielders must be active players of the team. The infielders are generally known as first baseman, second baseman, shortstop and third baseman. Third base is known as hot corner too as the right handed batter often hit towards that position.
- Outfielder: outfielders generally cover the ground of the field. They are smart and very active players who can respond quickly. They must be able to catch the ball accurately if it flies over them. Their duty is to catch the fly ball as well as the running down hits and throw it back to the infielders. The outfielders are generally known as Right fielder, Center fielder and Left fielder.
In Baseball How Many Outs are There In An Inning:
In a game of baseball there are nine innings and each inning is divided into half. Innings of baseball refers to that part of the game, where both the teams play as offense and defense. And each team gets three outs in each half of the innings. So in baseball there are 6 outs in an innings.
Rules of The Game:
Baseball is not an easy game. The rules of the game are quite complicated. These can be divided as:
- Playing field
- Game structure
- Pitching and hitting and
- Getting out
The baseball playing field implies both the infield and outfield. There are four bases in the infield known as home plate, first base, second base and third base. In the middle of the infield, there is the position of the pitcher, known as pitcher mound. Before pitching, the pitcher must put one of his feet on the pitcher rubber.
The basic structure of the baseball game is consisted of 9 innings. However it may vary according to the level of the game. In each innings, each team gets chance to bat. And the team continues to bat till three players are not out. After three outs either the inning is over or other team starts batting. And finally the winner is declared as per the score of the teams. The team with more runs will be the winner.
The game starts with a pitch, when the Pitcher pitches the ball to the home base in order to take a strike. When the ball pitches over the home base and above the knee of the batter and below the belt, then it is called strike. Again when the batter swings at the ball and misses it then also strike takes place.
When the batter hits the foul ball then also strike takes place. A foul ball either is the first or second strike. After the second strike, any foul ball is not counted as strike or balls. After four balls, the batter goes to the first base which is known as Walk.
If the pitcher is able to take three strikes continuously then the batter is out. After hitting the ball the batter tries to advance on the base. Then he becomes the base runner. And the opposite team tries to get him out before he reaches the safe position of a base. The fielder generally tries to catch the ball before it reaches the ground. Then it is declared as out. If it happens then the batter is out and all other batters go back to the original base. And thus the batting continues until 3 outs are made in an inning.
One run is made when a batter after hitting the ball runs towards the bases and touches all the four bases before three are made out. When three are made out then the batting team takes to field and the other team becomes the offensive team. In this way when the score is tied then extra innings is played.
In a baseball game the pitcher generally delivers varieties of deliveries. These are known as fastball, curve, knuckleball etc. from the pitcher’s mound.
Different Types of Outs of Baseball:
- Strike out: if the batter gets three strikes continuously before hitting the pitch or gets four balls then he is declared as out.
- Fly out: When the batter hits the ball, if the fielders catch it, then the batter is out.
- Force- out: When the batter is forced to run towards a base, then he may get out, if the fielder touches the base with the ball in his hand.
- Tag out: This can happen at any time during the game. If the player is not at base then he gets tagged out if anyone from the defensive team touches him, with the ball in his hand.
- Running out of the lines of the bases: Sometime, the player may run out of the lines in the bases, in order to avoid tag out. Then it is declared as out.
- Interference: if a runner or batter intentionally tries to distract the defensive team then it is declared as out.
So to conclude it can be said that baseball is one of the most popular and widely played game of USA. It is said as the favorite past time of USA. Not only in America, but it is also played in many other countries of the world. It is a game played between two teams and each team consists of 9 players. The visiting team bats for the first and the home team plays as defensive. There is also a batter’s box which is placed in both sides of the home plate.
A baseball game generally played for 9 innings and each inning is divided into two innings namely the top and the bottom.
Half innings is completed when the defensive team can out 3 batters. And then the players change their positions and start another half of the innings. So a complete innings of a baseball contains 6 outs.